Spectacle lenses reflects about 8% of the light that lands on your lens allowing only about 92% of the light to be transmitted through the spectacle lens to get to your eye! Less light arriving in your eye means less visual information getting to your brain and so there is a slight drop in visual quality. The amount of light reflected is even greater when you use compressed, or thinner, spectacle lenses, which so many of us do, because the glasses look better and weigh less! So, what can we do about this problem?
The answer is to put an anti-reflection coating on your spectacle lenses!
First, lets cover the down sides of these anti-reflection coatings:
- Fingerprints on the surface of the spectacle lenses are more easily seen and this can be annoying for some people.
- It obviously costs a bit more to have an anti-reflection coating on your lenses and some medical aids will not contribute towards this.
But there are so many awesome benefits:
- Anti-reflection coatings increase the light transmission through a spectacle lens to about 99%. More light means easier vision, particularly when driving at night!
- There are less reflections off the lenses surfaces! This means its easier for people to see your eyes when talking to you or to see your eyes when people take photos of you. The coatings also significantly reduce the reflections we all get off computer screens.
- Good anti-reflection coatings are actually harder than most anti-scratch coatings, so your spectacle lenses will scratch less, potentially meaning you can replace them less frequently. This could save you money in the long run!
- Good anti-reflection coatings also cut out significantly more UV light than lenses that don’t have them on, thus helping to protect your eyes (and the skin around your eyes) form the harmful effects of UV exposure, like Cataract formation, Age-related macular degeneration, pterygiums and pinguecula formation!
What is not to love about that? Who would not want those benefits?
COVID has robbed you of your joy, and some wine, but don’t let it rob you of great vision!
We have partnered with our premium lens manufacturers to offer you great value; Buy a pair of premium anti-reflection coating lenses and get a second set free! Want to find out more? Contact one of our practices today!
Find out more HERE
OFFER VALID UNTIL 31 December 2020